Clarity

Prayer can be hard Dear Reader. The idea of talking to an ever listening God, who seems not to respond in the way I want. I sit and dream, what was it like for Peter, John, Matthew, as they sat at the very feet of Jesus? How simple I think it must have been to find out the truth of the world from the very lips of its creator. What wonders did they have revealed and described to them?

Then I take the time to read the biblical text.

Jesus was a Rabbi, and used the ancient technique of the people he had formed, to teach via questions.

I ask myself,  could Jesus describe to Peter a heaven in terms he would really understand? Do words even exists to do this?

I read the accounts of the life of Jesus with his disciples, and I read the honesty of those who choose to speak up and have their words recorded.

The disciples were confused, they knew someone special was with them. They sensed that the Kingdom of God was near, but who Jesus was, that was clouded. Flashes came through. Peter understood he was the Messiah, but then didn't want that same Messiah to fulfil his sacrifical calling.

James and John wanted to be near Christ, to wield power!

Judas never got it at all!

Thomas, a person who is recorded as doubting, seems over named. The world has recorded him as "Doubting Thomas", yet it seems to me, he was until that point in good company, as all the disciples doubted or failed to recognise who Jesus was.

And Jesus, well Jesus answered people's questions with more questions! How annoying, why didn't he just give a straight answer, can't he hear what we are asking? Can't he get what we are trying to understand?

Then I start to understand, how can you teach the mysteries of the universe to us. In small steps only.

I could no more accept the right answer than a two year old could grasp the workings of an internal combustion engine. The child doesn't have the vocabulary, the experience, the comprehension.

Yet this same child could grow up, and become an engineer.

When did this take place?  How did comprehension come? By slow patient learning. Using the things I can grasp to help build up the things I previously couldn't.

Then revelation comes. Jesus left his Holy Spirit, what was denied the Apostles for most of the time with Christ is given to me so freely. Only at the end did they start to comprehend. With it they showed humility, recording their "stumbling in the dark" , highlighting their most foolish moments, so I, a private sinner, could in anonimity learn from them and listen to the call of the Kingdom.

This Spirit, oh this Spirit, how glorious He is, for in Him, I can ask, I can listen, and I can hear the questions coming back to me. Rabbinic to the last, my God questions me. Probes me, makes me look to my life and ask "How did you respond when you did this?"

In reflection comes vocabulary, and in this comes comprehension, and slowly, oh so slowly, comes clarity.

God is never silent, he is talking in the only ways He knows I can understand.

So now I can sit at the feet of the creator and give thanks to the Holy Spirit, I am answered.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Efficient

Same

Connectivity